Wow guests at your holiday party this year with a fun theme! What’s a good place to start? Movies and television, of course! Some of the fondest holiday memories involve watching a good movie with family and friends. Here are a few of our favorites and how you can use the theme to create an epic holiday celebration.
“Santa! Oh my God! Santa’s coming! I know him! I know him!” You know it’s a good movie when you can watch it every single year (perhaps multiple times) and still love it just as much as the first time you watched it. And it’s truly a Christmas movie for all ages. Here are some ways to plan an Elf-themed party that would make Buddy proud.
- All the candy canes! One of Buddy’s favorite foods and a super easy way to jazz up any holiday party. Fill festive vases with different varieties and flavors of candy canes: peppermint, blueberry, Cinnabon, birthday cake, and wait, wasabi flavored? Apparently there’s all sorts of flavors and types of candy canes.
- Post the Code of Elves on the door to welcome everyone and remind them of the most important rules of the season!
- Focus on red and green!
You, of course, must incorporate Buddy the Elf’s four most important food groups when catering an Elf-themed party: candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup.
- Set up a sweets bar where guests can craft their own bag of holiday treats to bring home as a favor!
- Create a specialty cocktail that incorporates syrup or coffee, two of Buddy’s favorite things—this one sounds especially delicious.
- Make brownies topped with strawberries and cream to imitate an elf hat.
- Spaghetti – maybe stick with traditional rather than Buddy’s sweet version.
- Elf Libs – A creative take on Mad Libs, this printable download will have you and your guests laughing all night long, filling in the blanks to some of the most entertaining Elf movie quotes!
- Elf Trivia – See who has the most Elf knowledge!
Follow in the footsteps of the great Michael Scott and plan a holiday party your coworkers or friends won’t soon forget! With so many epic holiday episodes, it’s hard to choose just one to focus your party on, so pull from the whole series.
Decorate your office just like Dunder Mifflin Paper Company with:
- Strings of red and green garland
- Red and white stockings for all guests
- Yellow snowflakes
- A Christmas tree decked out with ornaments and tons of tinsel
- Santa hats and elf hats for all to wear…. Or just dress up like Dwight’s favorite holiday character Belsnickel
- Jars of Kevin’s M&M’s!
- A bacon station sans the George Foreman
- Michael’s “homemade” potato salad
- Dwight’s cooked goose
- Glühwein – German mulled wine (Dwight’s Christmas)
- A pretzel bar with a variety of dips and toppings
- Yankee Swap – it wouldn’t be an Office-themed party without this festive holiday activity!
- Office Holiday Olympics – put games together just like the Olympics on the show including cups of hot chocolate races! (maybe go with a lukewarm temperature, though)
Want more Office inspiration? Here’s a list of every single one of its holiday episodes.
A Christmas Story
A true classic, A Christmas Story is a staple in every household during the holiday season. Try to re-create the youthful joy of the holiday season, just like Ralphie Farkus did in the 1940s-based film!
- It’s not a real A Christmas Story party without a leg lamp, right?
- Glass coke bottles with candy canes
- Classic Christmas trees with tinsel and traditional ornaments
- Holiday arrangements in wooden crates with “fragile” scrawled across
- Peking duck
- Mashed potato bar
- Oh, Fudge! sundae bar
- An Ugly Sweater Competition – the number of A Christmas Story-themed ugly sweaters out there is endless. Have everyone come in their very own ugly sweater and vote on the best!
These are just a few of the many fun ideas you can take from holiday movies to create a theme party your friends and/or co-workers won’t forget this season. We can help you take your menu to the next level. Contact us today to start brainstorming fun ways to bring your theme to life!