The holidays are full of warm and spicy drinks. Our list of the top 18 holiday drinks and best Christmas cocktails will give you some ideas on which drink recipes to share with your friends and guests this time of year.
Holiday Eggnog Recipes
- Hot Cider Eggnog. Whisk together 2 cups whole milk, 1 cup milk, 1 cup apple cider, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Then, warm in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick. Stir in ½ cup bourbon. Pour into individual cups, top with whipped cream and garnish with cinnamon sticks. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Classic Eggnog. Heat 2 cups of whole milk and ½ cup heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat. In a separate bowl, beat 6 eggs and a pinch of salt until thick. Add a 1/2 cup of sugar to the egg mixture and beat well. Gradually stir in heated milk to egg mixture until all milk mixture has been added. Cook entire mixture over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture completely thickens (about 15 minutes). Stir in ½ cup bourbon, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and a ½ teaspoon nutmeg. Remove from stove and cool. Refrigerate until serving. Serve in individual cups topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with nutmeg. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Spiced Chocolate Eggnog. Heat 1 quart whole milk, ¾ cup sugar, one pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 cinnamon sticks over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Whisk together 6 egg yolks until well-mixed, then whisk into cooled milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring for 4 minutes. Add 3 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate chips and 2 ounces melted milk chocolate chips. Remove cinnamon sticks before cooling. Add a ¾ cup brandy. Serve in individual cups topped with whipped cream and sprinkled nutmeg. Makes 4-6 servings.
Holiday Punch Recipes
- English Christmas Punch. Heat together a ½ bottle of red wine (dry), 1 cup of English tea, ¼ orange juice and 2 teaspoons lemon juice over low heat. Stir in 1/3 cup sugar and 1 cup dark rum. Serve warm. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Holiday Cranberry Punch. Combine 1 bottle cranberry juice, ½ cup orange juice, ½ cup Sprite or 7-up, ¼ cup sugar, 1 orange, sliced, 1 lime, sliced and 1 cup brandy. Serve over ice. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Mulled White Wine Sangria. Simmer a ½ cup water, the zest of a lemon, 2 star anise, 3 cinnamon sticks and 5 cloves in a saucepan over medium heat. Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes. Separately, combine 1 bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and a ½ cup orange Muscat. Add 1 sliced green apple, 1 sliced pear, 1 sliced lemon and 5 sliced kumquats. Add in the spiced mixture, then cool in a fridge overnight and serve over ice. Makes 4-6 servings.
Hot Holiday Drink Recipes
- Hot-Buttered Rum. Mix together ½ stick butter, 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves and one pinch of salt. Refrigerate until firm. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture into individual cups. Pour 1 shot of dark rum into each cup. Top with boiling water, stir and serve. Garnish with a cinnamon stick. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Hot Apple Cider. Heat 4 cups fresh apple cider, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 2 cloves and 1 orange, sliced, over medium heat. Strain into a pitcher and garnish with cinnamon sticks. Serve warm.
- Mulled Wine. Boil together 2½ cups apple cider, 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon, ¼ cup honey, 2 cinnamon sticks, the zest and juice of 1 orange, 3 cloves and 1 star anise for 10 minutes. Pour into individual cups and garnish with orange peels. Makes 4-6 servings.
Holiday Cocktail Recipes
- Gingerbread Martini. Stir together a ½ cup ginger liqueur, ½ cup vanilla liqueur, ½ cup coffee rum, ½ cup heavy cream and a ¼ cup honey. Shake well and pour over ice into individual martini glasses. Garnish each with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Holiday Cosmo. Pour ¾ cup vodka, 3 tablespoons Triple Sec, 3 tablespoons cranberry reduction (cranberry juice, canned jellied cranberry sauce, sugar, bitters boiled and thickened) and 2 tablespoons lemon juice into a drink mixer. Cover, shake, strain and pour into chilled martini glasses. Makes 4 servings.
- Peppermint Pattie. Combine 1 cup of vodka, ½ cup peppermint schnapps and 2 ounces white crème de cacao and shake well. Serve in a chilled cocktail glass and garnish each with a small candy cane. Makes 4-6 servings.
Holiday Champagne Drink Recipes
- Champagne Fizz. Combine 1 cup gin, 1 cup grapefruit juice and 3 tablespoons simple syrup. Pour into individual glasses until about ¾ full and top each with champagne. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Orange Fizz. Combine 2 tablespoons simple syrup, 1½ cups orange juice and 1 bottle of champagne. Optional, serve in a punch bowl with scoops of orange sherbet (substitute for simple syrup). Garnish with orange slices. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Pomegranate Mimosas. Combine 1 bottle pomegranate juice and 1 bottle champagne. Pour into individual glasses, and garnish each glass with a cranberry. Makes 4-6 servings.
While holiday drink recipes are staples when it comes to hosting a successful holiday party, the theme is perhaps the most important. We have compiled a list of some of the most unique and creative holiday party theme ideas to help get your party planning started.