A sports-theme wedding reveals that you know how to have fun and go all-in. It also showcases your love for the game. Whether you are a die-hard fan of the Bears, Cubs, Bulls, White Sox, Fire or Blackhawks, these sports-themed wedding ideas will have your guests rooting for your married life.
Chicago Sports Wedding Top Ideas
Idea #1: Chic Sports Wedding Venue
Just as you start planning any major event, the first step is finding the venue. Finding the right location for your sports wedding is a big decision, as it will set the tone for your big day. Do you want sports mania or a mix of sports and a traditional wedding? These locations listed below will let you play the sports theme any way you want:
- Stadium/arena: if you have always been jealous of the on-field proposals seen on T.V., then a stadium may be your dream wedding location. However, it is pricy; renting an arena typically starts at $10,000 for 125 guests. But, you will save money on décor because it is already decked out.
- Sports bar: while the groom might love the idea of hanging with his groomsmen at a Chicago bar, brides may prefer a classier setting. We suggest turning a traditional venue into your own elegant sports bar. For example, have plenty of beer and peanuts on the countertops.
When selecting the venue for your Chicago sports wedding, it’s important to ask what decorations, catering and entrances are make sure to plan those details (like where you’re getting the car) as well.
Idea #2: Creative Sports Wedding Invitations
Guests know your wedding is going to be an event to remember when they open their save the date card and invitation:
- Save the date: many couples decide to use their engagement photos on their save the date cards. You can create sports-centered photos by wearing jerseys of your favorite team or player. You can also custom make your jerseys with numbers that coordinate to the date of your wedding. Other ideas include using sports equipment or your favorite sports field’s natural scenery.
- Event ticket: design your wedding invitations to look like a ticket to a sports game from the bar code with the RSVP info to the date and time of the wedding. These can be as realistic and team specific as you want.
- Antique baseball card: include an antique baseball card with your event ticket listing your relationship stats, such as number of years dating or your favorite outing.
Are you thinking that you may want a more traditional wedding invitation? Sports-wedding invitation wording ideas like “Take me out to the wedding” or “Let’s get ready to marry…” give hints about the theme while still gracefully inviting your guests.
Idea #3: Chicago Sports Wedding Decorations
One of the great things about a sports theme wedding is that scoring on decorations is easy. Team logos, scoreboards and sports balls come in various shapes and sizes, so they can be as bold as you choose. You can even take the décor up a notch with these more creative sports wedding decoration ideas:
- Player seating assignments: basic table numbers are a strike at sports theme weddings. Assign guests to tables based on positions like “shortstop” and “pitcher’s mound.”
- Sports theme table runners: a football field table runner makes a statement on long dining tables, and a basketball or soccer ball design works great on round tables.
- Guest book memorabilia: take home a true keepsake by asking guests to write notes on basketballs, jerseys or helmets.
- Trophy centerpieces: fill cup-shaped trophies with team colored flowers and Chicago flags to create the perfect Chicago sports wedding centerpieces.
Idea #4: Vendor Food
You are in luck because casual menus and bite-size dinners are trending and are the perfect match to sports game vendor food. Embrace the idea of hot dog carts, popcorn stands and ice cold beer. Concession stands and waiters circulating just like game day vendors can all be part of your wedding catering and entertainment. Waiters can even carry around slices of your sports theme wedding cake. Don’t be afraid to ask your caterer to adapt their wedding menu and services to your sports wedding theme.
Idea #5: Pump Up Sports Wedding Entertainment
One of our favorite sports wedding reception ideas is getting your guests in the spirit with team songs and classic pump up music. Below are a few sports wedding music ideas:
- “We Are the Champions” by Queen
- “Remember The Name” by Fort Minor
- “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” by Tin Pan Alley
- ”We Will Rock You” by Queen
Find more sports theme music on this Spotify playlist.
Idea #6: Take the Game Home
Wedding favors can be as simple as peanuts and cracker jacks or as fancy as custom team hats embroidered with your wedding date.
A Chicago Sports wedding might sound like a hard pitch, but it is actually very adaptable to any wedding idea. Whether you are looking to plan a sports fanatic wedding or add just a hint of Chicago team pride to your wedding, these articles will help you plan a home run: